Having a good understanding of the environmental factors affecting the organisation and their inter-relationship to formulate a sound competitive strategy is imperative for the success of an organization.
Taking the role as the Head of the Strategic and Business Development, choose either your own organization or another organization with which you are familiar and undertake an analysis of the strategic direction of the said organisation. Your analysis and report should clearly address the issue(s) facing the organisation and analyse the situation using the concepts and tools taught in this module leading to the formulation of specific strategic direction and plans of action for the organisation.
The proposed structure of your assignment is as follows:
1. Executive Summary – Provide an Executive Summary for the Report not exceeding 250 words (5 marks)
2. Introduction – Provide brief background of organisation and industry in which it operates and competes (10 marks)
3. Undertake a situational analysis to evaluate the vision, mission and current strategy of the organisation and how it influences its overall success. (15 marks)
4. Analyse the organisation’s external, internal and competitive environment using the relevant tools learned in the module such as PESTLE analysis, SWOT, TOWS analysis, Porter’s 5 Forces etc.. (25 marks)
5. Critique the past strategic choices and propose generic strategies and growth strategies for the future direction of the organisation by taking into account any expected changes in the environment and/or its competition. (25 marks)
6. Conclusion and Recommendations (10 marks)
7. Citations & References (10 marks)
The format for this assignment is in the form of a management report. Students are required to be critical in their thinking and display the linkages between the various analysis conducted in order to derive at the proposed strategies.
Font Style: Times New Roman & Font Size: 12
Line Spacing: 1.5
Page Layout/Orientation: Portrait
All the margins should be set about 25mm on both sides (i.e. left & right) of each page.
Numerical Systems (e.g 1.0, 1.1 and 1.1.1) should be used for each section and sub-section.
Word count must be indicated on the cover page of the assignment.
Important Note: This assignment MUST be submitted on or before the due date which is the 14th February 2016
Your word count should not include your reference list. You should provide your word count also at the end of your report. Word count begins with the Introduction section.
Exceeding the word count by more than 10% will result in a penalty of 10% of your marks for your work.
If your work is significantly shorter, then you will probably have failed to provide the level of detail required