These two courses are: Public Health Implications of Disaster (core requirement) & Homeland Security (elective course). I have this order belonging to the course of Homeland Security and Defense for the program of my master which is Disaster Medicine and management.
– I will start with the course description of HLS (taken from the syllabus I’ve sent you before): DMM 612 Foundations of Homeland Security and Defense The United States has embraced the homeland security monolith having neither fully understood nor tamed all that it encompasses. This challenging course provides a broad overview of homeland security and homeland defense as undertaken in the United States since 9/11 and under different administrations. The goal is to provide the generally accepted body of knowledge required of the homeland security professional. The course focuses on four areas: the enemy, why they hate us, and the threat they pose; the policies and procedures enacted since 9/11; the key players at the federal, state and local levels; and legal issues critical to the conduct of homeland security and defense activities by the National Guard. The student will be gain an understanding in asymmetric thinking, develop an appreciation for the growing body of literature in the discipline of homeland security, and have the opportunity to examine a key issue in depth through a term research paper.
– The required Textbooks for this course (please see the syllabus: 1. Forst, Brian – Terrorism, Crime, and Public Policy, ISBN: 978-0-521-67642-7 2. Harmon, C.C., Pratt, A.N., Gorka, S. – Toward a Grand Strategy Against Terrorism, ISBN: 978-0-07-352779-6
– The topic of this week, Wk 10, is: Legal and Jurisdictional Issues – The Law Enforcement Community, Posse Comitatus, and Domestic Operations
– THE RESOURCES (Reading Assignments) OF THIS WEEK: (PLEASE USE SOME OF THEM WHEN DOIN G THE ASSIGNMENT OF THIS WEEK):
1. Assigned Readings
a. Forst 13
b. POSSE COMITATUS, THE ARMY, AND HOMELAND SECURITY: WHAT IS THE PROPER BALANCE? (https://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA448746)
– The assignment is to answer TWO questions:
1- What can be done to better coordinate the efforts of law enforcement currently being conducted in nearly every federal, state and local jurisdiction?
2- Is the law enforcement community ready and able to take on a greater role in collecting intelligence against us originated terrorist threats?
NOTE: Please use at least FOUR references to cover these questions and all its part and do use AT LEAST one reference from the list of the reading assignments of this week, Wk. 10 (IMPORTANT) NOTE: PLEASE COVER BOTH QUESTIONS AND ITS DETAILS COMPLETELY WITHOUT MISSING ANY PART REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF PAGES.