? This assignment is expected to be about 10% of the course grade.
? Answers can be submitted as a group (max of 3 students in a group – no exceptions please).
? There is a 20% penalty for each day of late submission.
? See the grading rubric for this assignment.
Objective: Apply Activity Diagram modeling to the car rental
scenario described in assignment 1, with the goal of illustrating the
current vehicle maintenance process, and then improving the current process.
Deliverables: Submit hard copy of a MS Word document that includes the following:
1. A title page with no page number (See page 2 for additional guidelines on title page).
2. A brief introduction that reads: “This assignment report includes two activity diagrams. Figure 1 outlines the current vehicle
maintenance process for the car rental scenario. Figure 2 illustrates the improved vehicle maintenance process”. (Remove the
3. Use Microsoft Visio to model the current process described in the car rental scenario as an activity diagram. Label this diagram
as: “Figure 1 – Current Vehicle Maintenance Process” (without the quotes). Insert this diagram as a .JPG file into page 1 (body of
your MS Word assignment 2 report) below the brief introduction mentioned in deliverable # 2. Try to fit the introduction and figure 1
on the same page.
Assume that the Management team at the car rental place wishes to improve the current process. The team wants to remove the
Data Entry Staff and either the Assistant Manager or the Manager from the process. They want to ensure that the Maintenance
Manager is more actively involved in the process. Since the data entry staff is eliminated from the improved process, the
Management team wants to ensure that the customer complaints filed using the ‘Rental Online Complaints’ (ROC) software is reformatted
before it enters the FMS. The team also wants to reduce the use of paper documents (without compromising on process
4. Use Microsoft Visio to create an activity diagram that illustrates an improved vehicle maintenance process that reflects the
improvements suggested in the previous paragraph. Label this diagram as: “Figure 2 – Improved Vehicle Maintenance Process”
(without the quotes). Insert this diagram as a .JPG file into page 2 (body of your MS Word assignment report). Note that reports
usually do not end in a diagram. We are making an exception here since the focus is on creating activity diagrams using Visio.
Assignment guidelines are on page 2. Instructions for using Visio (for creating activity diagrams), and comments on downloading
Visio software for home use are provided. An ecopy
of these instructions are available in the ‘Process Analysis and Modeling’
folder under ‘Course Documents’ on Canvas. Please review page 2 for some comments related to group work and academic
honesty. Closing remarks are on Page 3 of this document.
Some comments regarding Title (Cover) Page: Include a separate title page that includes:
• Course number (i.e., BA302), Course name (i.e., Business Process Management), Instructor name (i.e., Dr. Raja), and
• Assignment # and Title (i.e., “Assignment 2: Activity Diagrams”)
• The first and last names of all team members (with correct spellings). Names must not be handwritten,
and cannot be added after
submission is made to the instructor.
• The title page must NOT contain any answers.
• The title page must NOT have a page number. (First page with introduction and activity diagram of current vehicle maintenance