Prompt: Discuss Alceste’s misanthrope in Moliere’s The Misanthrope (translated by Richard Wilbur)
This broad prompt allows the students to analyze all aspects of this comedy
• Use specific quotes from the play to support your response.
• 3 pages long
• Quotes only from The Misanthrope and translated by Richard Wilbur.
• Stay within guidelines set forth by teacher, see attachment “Rules”.
• Include Alceste’s valid arguments and points as well as his invalid points about humanity
• Include the definition of misanthrope (“a person who dislikes humankind and avoids human society.”) in your own words and how Alceste applies to this definition.
• Include how Alceste’s misanthrope can be hypocritical at times regarding his infatuation with Celimene
• In what areas do you agree or disagree with Alceste’s philosophies?
Teacher wants the students to use the ‘play and our mind’ and not to use outside sources but, if outside sources are used an AMA style bibliography is required.